I made this last night and spooned some over cornbread that I had on-hand. This was a great main course, but minus the cornbread it would serve well as a side dish.
- 2 sweet onions (softball-sized)
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 T. butter
- 3 T. flour
- 1-1/2 c. milk
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t. salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Peel and coarsely dice onions.
- Slightly pre-cook onions in a microwave at high for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium-low heat in a sauce pan.
- When butter has melted, add flour and whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Continue to heat, whisking frequently, until the roux is slightly browned.
- Add milk, a little at a time, whisking and heating until thickened in between additions.
- After all the milk has been added, remove the sauce pan from the burner. Add salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Arrange onions and cheese in layers in a greased 2 qt. casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce over the onions and bake for 50 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings