Thursday, January 12, 2012

Grasshoppers Pickup Number 18


This week my basket contained:
  • Beef brisket
  • 1/2 lb. ground beef
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 7+ parsnips
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1 small bunch red leaf lettuce
  • 2 turnips

I don't think I've ever cooked a beef brisket. I will probably marinade it in the fridge in something good and then cook it very slowly in the oven. The ground beef will most likely be used for hamburgers... unless I have the opportunity to make a batch of enchiladas.

The parsnips are wild. Some of them are very tiny indeed. I believe I'll want to make a stir fry with the smaller parsnips along with one of the Daikon radishes (that I still have in the fridge from the previous pickup).

The squash, sweet potatoes, and turnips should go into a root vegetable stew. I recently roasted some winter vegetables. They were quite good that way, but with the weather turning cold, a nice, hot stew with a piece of homemade bread just sounds wonderful.

The lettuce will be added to the salad I already have in my fridge.

I'm not sure about the tomatoes. They might go into my veggie stew.

Just between you and me, I'm kind of glad I didn't get an acorn squash. Those things are a pain to peel! And the "meat" is pretty thin. Butternut squash rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment