This is an experimental dish that I plan on making tonight as an accompaniment to roast brisket. The wheat berries are from my CSA, Grasshopper Distributions.
- 5 c. water or chicken broth
- 1 c.wheat berries
- 1 c. brown rice
- 3 t. butter
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/8 t. salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 2 t. dried parsley
- 8 oz. can mushroom stems and pieces
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add wheat berries, reduce heat to a slow simmer, cover and
cook for 1 hour.
- Add brown rice and cook for 30 minutes.
- During this time, melt butter in a skillet. Saute vegetables until translucent.
- Add vegetables, herbs, spices, and mushrooms to rice and
wheat berries. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes or until
grains are tender.