Saturday, February 25, 2012

Grasshoppers Pickup Number 21



This week's basket contained:
  • 2 hydroponic tomatoes
  • 1 small head Bibb lettuce
  • 3 sweet potatoes
  • 1 bunch sage
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 jar pumpkin butter

The tomatoes and lettuce will go into a salad mix I'll make this weekend. The sweet potatoes--I'm not sure. Probably baked or cooked as oven fries, but I think I'll use the largest one to make a sweet potato pie.

The fresh sage could be problematic. Most recipes I've seen that call for fresh sage use only 1 or 2 tablespoons. I did find a recipe for a spread that included cream cheese and lots of fresh sage. It also called for frozen lemonade (yuck!), so I'll have to modify it a bit. With the remaining sage, I might try a recipe for sage mashed potatoes that also calls for onion and plain yogurt.

I'll cook the kale with pork and a diced turnip. I have to make cornbread to go with!

I'm not a big fan of things like pumpkin butter. Having said that, I'll take it to work along with a package of English muffins (we have a toaster). I get pretty hungry in the late afternoon so this will make a very welcome snack.

1 comment:

  1. Well, hush my mouth. I stuffed what looked like a fairly large bunch of sage into the food processor and chopped it up. The result was about a tablespoon of chopped sage. This serves to illustrate my unfamiliarity with fresh herbs and food processors.

    ReplyDelete