Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grasshoppers Pickup Number 14


This week's Produce For Two and Mixed Meat contained:
  • Spare ribs
  • 2 pork chops
  • Kale greens
  • Cauliflower
  • 2 turnips
  • Buttercup squash
  • Tatsoi
  • 7 sweet potatoes

Wow, this is my kind of basket!

The spare ribs and pork chops will be part of "meat and 2-or-3" meals. Oven barbecue is a distinct possibility.

Kale greens will give me greens and cornbread! I'll dice the smaller of the two turnips to go into the mix. I suppose I'll have to spring for some grocery store pork since I've used up all the ham hocks in my freezer.

I'm thinking I'll use the squash in a casserole for Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure how to use the cauliflower. I might just steam it and serve it with a cheese sauce..

The tatsoi: it looks like it should go in a stir fry, but I'm not sure I can fit that in between today and Thanksgiving. This will be tough.

Sweet potatoes. Seven sweet potatoes!!?? I still have 2 left over from my last pickup. They are great as oven fries, but I don't think I'm going to be eating any burgers in the next couple of weeks. If I had a sweet tooth, I'd make sweet potato pie. I might go ahead and do that, sweet tooth or no. I've never made a sweet potato pie, and it would certainly be appropriate for Thanksgiving.

And, hello, I've still got a huge Tupperware bin of chili to consume. I need to clone myself so I can eat twice as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment