- 1 small/medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 c. stuffing mix
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ medium sweet onion, minced
- 1 t. thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c. bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine all ingredients except bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl.
- Place mixture in a greased, 8” x 8” pan.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Bake at 375F for 1 hour.
Yields 4 servings.
When I made this, I happened to have a square of cornbread on hand. I crumbled that over the casserole in place of bread crumbs. It was great! I wonder if you can buy dried cornbread crumbs? I suppose you could buy cornbread stuffing mix and use that--pulverized in a food processor or straight from the package--as the topping. I’m thinking a small can of mushroom pieces and stems would be a good addition to try.
2011-11-13 @ 0054: After a trip to Meijer's for groceries, I realized that the CSA butternut squash I used for this recipe was on the small side. The squash I saw at the store was 2-3 times more massive than mine! The recipe might be perfectly good with the changed ratio of ingredients, but I've not tested that scenario.