Saturday, October 8, 2011

Grasshoppers Pickup Number 11


Here's what I got in this week's basket:
  • Ground beef
  • 1 Round roast (beef)
  • 1 carving-grade pumpkin
  • 1 package of spinach linguini
  • 6 small sweet peppers of various colors
  • 1 bag of parsley
  • 4 ears of corn
  • 1 Delicata squash
  • A bag of arugula

I'm being challenged here! So what else is new?

The beef: no problem.

The carving pumpkin? It's just a question of finding someone to whom it to give (am I being grammatically anal?). "Carving Grade" apparently means don't bother roasting this in your oven... it will taste like doo-doo.

The linguini was a freebie. Grasshoppers is promoting a new pasta subscription, so they gave out pasta to all current subscribers. We're talking about 2 meals, minimum, per package. I'm just not sure that I would want to commit to eating pasta on a regular basis. I'm excited about this one package of spinach linguini! I bought a jar of low-sugar pasta sauce and I've added sauteed green pepper and sweet onion to it along with a generous sprinkling of dried oregano. What could be bad?

Ah, the sweet peppers. That's going to be a problem. These are very small peppers.  Traditional "stuffed green pepper" recipes would not be appropriate. I could treat them like Ancho peppers and make chilies rellenos, but I'm worried that the pepper taste might be overpowering. The sweet pepper problem will require some research.

The corn will be, I'm thinking, part of a side dish when I cook the beef roast.

Oh yeah. Delicata squash. What the hell to do with that? It looks sturdy, so I'm thinking I have a little bit of time to determine its future.

The arugula gets sprinkled into my previously-made bag-o-salad. Easy & good.

No comments:

Post a Comment