Thursday, September 8, 2011

Grasshoppers: Pickup Number 9


In this week's basket:
  • 2 packages ground beef
  • Stew meat
  • 3 red peppers
  • 3 apples
  • 4 pear apples
  • 9 potatoes
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1 cantaloupe

I need to do some serious thinking about sweet red peppers. I still have peppers left over from the last pickup. Maybe I should roast some in the oven--but then I'm not sure how I'd use roasted peppers. This calls for research.

I have 3 packages of ground beef in the freezer now. I always enjoy making cheeseburgers. Alternatively, I suppose I could get back into some burrito or enchilada meals. Stew meat and potatoes suggest... stew! The weather has turned unseasonable cool here. If I knew the weather would stay cool, I could go for a big pot of stew. I think we'll get another hot spell, though. I'd best save the stew meat for the more reliably cool part of the year.

As always, the tomato will go into salad.

This basket is pretty heavy on the fruit! The apples and pear apples will be snacks for work. The cantaloupe--I'll probably enjoy that during Cat Availability Time.

Truth to tell, I'm getting behind on my meat consumption. I unthawed the thick-sliced ham I'd gotten in a previous basket and I've been making ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches this week. It turned out that the ham was not trimmed, so there are scraps of fat, gristle, and bone. These rests put me in mind of a nice bean recipe--maybe Navy beans and cornbread.

So much food! So little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment