This is not a recipe. Rather, it is a proto-recipe. I improvised this dish last night and this is approximately how I did it. I may tweak the directions in the future. If you're adventurous, use this as a rough guideline and create your own version.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 medium or large eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 c. bread crumbs
- 8 oz. fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced into coins
- 1 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 14 oz. pasta sauce
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add Italian sausage. Cook thoroughly. Drain on paper towels. When cool, crumble completely.
- Break the egg into a bowl and beat well.
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/4" slices. Dip slices in egg and arrange evenly in a lasagna tray. Sprinkle with half of the bread crumbs.
- Bake eggplant for 10 minutes. Turn eggplant and sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove lasagna tray from oven and reduce temperature to 350F.
- Pour about a third of the pasta sauce over the eggplant slices, then turn the slices over.
- Distribute Mozzarella slices evenly on top of eggplant.
- Distribute 1/2 of Parmesan on top of eggplant.
- Sprinkle basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to taste on top of eggplant.
- Spread remainder of pasta sauce on top of eggplant.
- Sprinkle remainder of Parmesan cheese over all.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes.