Thursday, September 22, 2011

Grasshoppers: Pickup Number 10


In this week's basket:
  • 1 bunch lettuce
  • 1 bunch radishes
  • 1 bag green beans
  • 2 sweet red peppers
  • 5 jalapeno peppers (4 red, 1 green)
  • 6 ears corn
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 4 apples
  • 1 smoked chicken

More sweet red peppers! I did get around to roasting all the red peppers that I'd gotten in the last 2 baskets. These will probably go into a vinaigrette salad dressing. The two additional sweet red peppers will go straight into a salad, as will the lettuce and radishes.

The green beans will be a part of "Meat and Two Sides" dinners, which will probably feature tuna or salmon as the "meat".

The jalapenos can go into any number of Mexican dishes--enchiladas or salsa would be the most likely recipes.

I vaguely recall browsing some recipes for roast butternut squash. This will require research.

The corn is a curveball. Given a single ear of corn in the husk, extreme oven baking makes for a yummy side. The first recipe I experimented with was one I found in a Nero Wolfe novel--no lie. However, six ears of corn is a bounty that deserves to be heard in a main dish. Some kind of stew? I do have stew meat and green peppers in the freezer as well as sweet onions and carrots in the fridge.

Smoked chicken? Wow. I guess I could slice off pieces to become part of "Meat and Two" dinners. Could also make sammiches, for that matter.

Overall, I think I'm most excited about finding a killer recipe for the butternut squash. I love food more than the law allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment