This is a delicious side dish that goes well with a pork chop and one other side, such as sauteed squash.
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1-1/2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 T. chopped garlic
- 1 large head Emiko cabbage or 2 medium heads Napa cabbage, very coarsely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, preferably Italian style
- 1 T. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat.
- When the oil begins to shimmer, add onions, celery, and garlic. Stir to coat evenly with oil.
- Cover and cook the vegetables until they are soft and slightly browned--about 10 minutes--stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, cabbage, herbs, and spices. Mix well, cover, and reduce heat to medium low.
- Continue to cook for about 40 minutes. Ideally, the cabbage should be cooked, but the stalks should still be just a tad crunchy, as in a stir fry.
- Serve hot, or serve leftovers cold or at room temperature. Top with some grated Parmesan cheese if desired.