Friday, July 1, 2011

Grasshoppers: Pickup Number 5


In this week's basket:
  • 2 heads Emiko cabbage
  • 1 white onion
  • 2 summer squash
  • 1 pt. blueberries
  • 6 green Lodi apples
  • 1 chicken

Emiko cabbage looks a lot like collard greens. I'll probably chop it coarsely and cook it as a side dish. The squash will make a second side. That means I need to come up with a main dish of some kind for Saturday night. Maybe Mac-and-Cheese. I need to find a good recipe for homemade Mac-and-Cheese. The last time I tried, it was kind of blah. Or maybe fish. We'll see.

I think I'll save the chicken for next week since I have some bratwurst in the fridge that needs to be used. I found a nice-looking cast iron Dutch oven on Amazon that allegedly has a smooth bottom that should work on my ceramic top stove. I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm tempted. I'd like to use the chicken to make Coq Au Vin, and I'd really rather do that in cast iron than stainless steel. I hate to keep buying things for the kitchen, though. I need to get rid of some stuff that I don't use any more. The yard sale at the animal shelter near my house has already had its yard sale recently, though. And I'm drifting way off topic.

Okay, blueberries. I'm not sure what to do with these. I could make blueberry muffins. I could make banana-blueberry bread. Or I could just use them on cereal. More research is needed.

The apples are for snacks. I'm not a huge apple fan, however. These apples are crisp and tart and much better than the flavorless apples I've gotten at the grocery.

No comments:

Post a Comment