Sunday, July 10, 2011

Blueberry Coffee Cake


This is how I used my blueberries from last week's CSA pickup. I use my hand mixer maybe once or twice a year--baking is not something I do very often. I have a bread machine that I use frequently for whole wheat bread and I'm not all that into cakes, pies, or cookies. Still, this will be great with my morning coffee at work next week.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1-1/2 c. white flour
  • 1-1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. light butter
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 c. whole milk
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 pint blueberries

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Combine flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter until well mixed (I usually wind up kneading with my hands). Set aside 3/4 c. of this mixture for topping.
  3. Add baking powder, milk, and egg yolks. Blend until smooth with a hand mixer.
  4. Beat egg whites until stiff and gently fold into the batter.
  5. Turn out batter into a greased 9" x 13" cake pan. Top with blueberries and reserved flour-sugar-butter mixture.
  6. Bake 40-45 minutes until top is browned and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment