Friday, June 3, 2011

Grasshoppers: Pickup Number 3

Chinese cabbage

This week's basket contained:
  • 1 bunch of broccoli
  • 1 zucchini and 2 yellow squash
  • 1 head of Chinese cabbage (sui choy)
  • 1 head of Bibb lettuce
  • A small bunch of green onions
  • A bag of pea pods
  • About 1/2 lb. ground beef
  • 4 beef bratwursts
  • 2 ground beef patties

I'm a little confused by the pea pods. The pods are thicker than snow peas. I'm guessing they should be shucked before cooking. (2011-06-06: No, these were snow peas. Just a lot more beefy than the snow peas I see in the grocery!)

I mistook the sui choy for Romaine lettuce last night and made a salad with part of it. The salad was delicious, but I think I'll use the rest of it in a stir fry. Heck, I might as well use the squash, green onions, and some of the broccoli in the stir fry as well. I have some fresh ginger in the fridge, so that can go in there, too. I'll use the Bibb lettuce in salads. I'll probably cook the peas as a side dish with the remaining broccoli as a second side. Maybe I'll thaw out one of the pork chops from the last pickup and do an oven barbecue as the main dish of that meal.

Good stuff, as always. I love my CSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment