Friday, May 20, 2011

Grasshoppers: Pickup Number 2

This week's bounty was as follows:
  • A bag of mixed salad greens
  • About 8 radishes (red and white)
  • 2 small bunches of Romaine lettuce
  • 2 bunches of bok choy
  • About 3/4 pint strawberries
  • Several good-sized green onions
  • 2 pork chops
  • A small section of baby back ribs
I'd call that a pretty good haul! For supper last night I had salad greens with radishes and a carrot I had on hand. There are enough greens for a couple more such salads. I think the strawberries are headed for the blender--Friday is Daiquiri Night! (Party hearty before the Rapture!)

Bok choy and green onions suggest a stir fry. Maybe that's what I'll do for Saturday supper. I could unthaw one of the pork chops (the meat comes frozen) as the meat for the stir fry. I'll want some other colors, so maybe I'll pick up a yellow and/or red pepper at the grocery tomorrow.

I'm not an outdoor griller. I guess this is my opportunity to learn how to barbecue ribs in the oven! I'll have to research the process. I'll also need to obtain some barbecue sauce. I'll probably go with Mark's Feed Store or Moonlite brand.

By the way, I did use last week's chicken to make fried chicken. I served it with green beans and I substituted pease porridge for the usual mashed potatoes. I lightened the porridge with a pureed head of cauliflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment