Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Grasshoppers: Pickup Number 1

I've signed up for shares in a community supported agriculture program called Grasshoppers Distribution. Every other week, I'll pick up a basket of produce and a meat item at Rainbow Blossom Natural Food Store a few miles from my house. My first pickup was last Thursday and here's what was in my produce basket:
  • 3 leeks
  • About 6 small bunches of arugula
  • 1/2 pint strawberries
  • A jar of salsa
  • A bottle of locally-produced soy sauce
The truck with the meat was a bit late. I could have waited, but they said it was no problem for me to pick up my chicken the following week.

I had the arugula as a salad with oil and vinegar dressing. It was very tender and mild--not peppery like store-bought arugula. I simmered the leeks with diced sweet onion in olive oil as a side dish. I had some of the salsa over shrimp as an appetizer last night. The tomato flavor was very deep and delicious. I'm not sure what I'll do with the strawberries. I might just eat them sliced over breakfast cereal. The soy sauce will no doubt be an ingredient in my daily savory oatmeal lunch.

I often use chicken in spicy dishes, but I'd like to use this one in a dish that features the taste of the chicken itself. I'm thinking I'll do fried chicken--something I don't make all that often.

No comments:

Post a Comment