Saturday, June 16, 2012

Grasshoppers Pickup Number 29


This week's basket contained:
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 9 small beets
  • 1 head leafy lettuce
  • Peas in the shell
  • 1 head garlic
  • 1 head Chinese cabbage
  • 5 smallish potatoes
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 whole chicken, cut up

I'm making borscht tonight with the beets, potatoes and onion.

The kale will be cooked as a greens meal along with a turnip and served with cornbread. The lettuce will go into a simple salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, and celery. The peas will be a side dish to accompany some wild caught (!) salmon I picked up at the grocery this afternoon. I can use the garlic in any number of dishes.

I'm thinking the cabbage will go into a dish like Chinese-Style Cabbage. It could serve as another side for the salmon (which is enough to make 3 meals for me).

The chicken will stay in the freezer for a while. I am so behind on meat consumption. There are so many ways to use a cut-up chicken. I'm tempted to make fried chicken, although this is something I only make once or twice a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment