My grandmother used to make a delicious and simple cucumber salad. I'm trying to duplicate that taste. Here's my latest effort.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 hot house cucumber, sliced
- 1 t. dried dill weed
- 1 T. dried parsley
- Combine water and sugar and boil until sugar is dissolved (5 min. in microwave at high).
- Combine remaining ingredients in a sealable glass or Pyrex container
- Pour syrup into the container and mix.
- Store in refrigerator for at least one day before serving.
Other recipes I've tried have been too sweet for my taste. I'm looking for a pleasant vinegar taste with just enough sugar to round off the edges. My grandmother did not, as I recall, use dill weed or parsley, but I think that will be a good addition.