Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Grasshoppers Pickup Number 24


This week's basket contained:
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 head Bibb lettuce
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1 bunch ramps
  • 1 bunch thyme
  • 1 lb. asparagus
  • 2.25 lb. whole chicken, cut up
  • 1.75 lb. chicken wings

The asparagus has already gone into making quiche. It's quite delicious and it will make 5 meals for me (including one meal of excess filling as the entree).

The kale, as usual, will be cooked with a couple of (non-CSA) turnips and some pork ribs and be served over cornbread. Can't be bad. The lettuce and tomatoes will be salad.

Ramps are apparently along the lines of wild onions with garlicky overtones. I don't really know since I've never had them before. I'm sure they could go into a stir-fry, but since I also need to find a use for the thyme, maybe I'll simmer a cut of beef with the ramps and thyme.

The cut-up chicken could go into any of a bazillion recipes. Gumbo or curry sounds nice.

The chicken wings would be fun to cook as uber-spicy Buffalo wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment